Download or view a copy of my most recent CV here.
At a Glance
|Experience / Education|
|Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Purdue Aphasia Research Lab||August 2022 – present|
|PhD (Psycholinguistics)||University of Essex||September 2019 – July 2022|
|MA (Psycholinguistics)||University of Essex||September 2018 – September 2019|
|BA (Hons) (English)||Birmingham City University||September 2015 – July 2018|
Understanding Data in Linguistics
|University of Essex||2020-2022|
|Graduate Teaching Assistant|
Child Language Development
|University of Essex||2019|
|Classroom Assistant||Birmingham City University||2017-2018|
Publications and Projects
- Van Boxtel, W.S. & Lawyer, L.A. (2022) Syntactic comprehension priming and lexical boost effects in older adults. Language, Cognition, Neuroscience. https://doi.org/10.1080/23273798.2022.2091151
- Van Boxtel, W.S. & Lawyer, L.A. (2021) Sentence comprehension in ageing and Alzheimer’s Disease. Language and Linguistics Compass, e12430. 10.1111/lnc3.12430
- Van Boxtel, W.S. & Lawyer, L.A. (submitted.) A Matter of Memory? Age-invariant relative clause disambiguation and memory interference in older adults. Special Issue on Aging Language: understanding how human cognition changes as we grow old; Topics in Cognitive Science. https://osf.io/eympz/
- Van Boxtel, W.S. & Lawyer, L.A. (submitted). In the Prime of Life: ERP evidence for syntactic comprehension priming in older adults. https://osf.io/3yrnv/
- Jerro, K., Lawyer, L.A., Ngoboka, J., O’Gara, F., and Van Boxtel, W.S. (submitted). The Psychological Reality of Noun Classes in Kinyarwanda
- Van Boxtel, W.S., Cox, B., Keen, A., and Lee, J. (in prep.) Anticipatory processing in aphasia: Evidence from structural Priming. Frontiers in Language Sciences. https://osf.io/7apc3/
- Van Boxtel, W.S., Linge, M., Manning, R.C.G., Haven, L., and Lee, J. (in prep.) Online eye-tracking for aphasiology and linguistics: a feasibility study. https://osf.io/n6gu7/.
Service to the Field
- Contributing author: “Special Issue on Aging Language: understanding how human cognition changes as we grow old.” Topics in Cognitive Science. Autumn 2022.
- Reviewer: Nature Scientific Reports
- Reviewer: International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders
- Reviewer: Neuropsychology Review
- Reviewer: Cognition
- Reviewer: Frontiers in Education
- Conference Organisation: Language at the University of Essex (LangUE) 2021.
- EEG/ERP recording and analysis.
- Eyetracking (EyeLink & Online through WebGazer.js) recording and analysis
- Experiment building in OpenSesame, PsychoPy, E-Prime, Experiment Builder
- R language, Markdown, Unix/Linux, Python, Matlab/EEGlab
- Bayesian regression modelling, linear mixed modelling (including generalised/logit)
- Purdue Institute for Integratve Neuroscience Travel Award (Dec ’22)
- University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship (May ’18)
- Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (United Kingdom)
- Faculty of Social Sciences Dean’s Fund (Psychology of Noun Classes in Kinyarwanda)
- Howard Jackson Prize (Birmingham City University)